How To Order Replacement Cushions
As we discussed in last week’s post, it’s that time of year to do something now and order replacement cushions for your patio furniture. A critical window exists between placing and receiving orders because manufacturers are busy in the early spring. The wait time to receive your cushions from when you place an order can become very long depending on the type of cushions you order and the manufacturer to whom you want to make them. In as much as Wicker Living, LLC can process most cushion orders in two to three weeks, not all cushion makers can meet such tight requirements, especially during the spring rush. Preparing now and placing your order at least 4 to 6 weeks before you need them can save you a lot of heartaches.
You need to take inventory of your cushions and organize your thoughts on what replacement cushions you need. Thickness, softness/firmness, shape, color, style, and wear are all factors you must consider when evaluating cushion replacement. Missing cushions can be easily overlooked, so you must ensure you have accounted for all furniture and all cushions. So, on a paper or spreadsheet, list the cushions you need and the quantity of each type.
It’s important to measure your cushions and accurately describe what you need when shopping, whether at a brick-and-mortar store or on a website. Cushions are available in two basic types, tufted and foam. Tufted cushions have buttons or sewn circles and are filled with fiber, whereas foam cushions use a solid block of foam rubber and are often wrapped with a Dacron to form a block-style cushion.
Here is what you do if you have your old cushions:
- Start by listing the cushions you need.
- Leave space between each item to record the measurements of each cushion.
- For each cushion, document whether you have/want a foam or tufted fiber-filled cushion
- For a seat cushion: measure the width and depth of the chair frame and list the thickness you want.
- For a back cushion: measure the width & height of the frame. Most back cushions are the same width as the corresponding seat cushions.
- Document the shape of the cushions.
- For example, Rounded back corners and square front corners or arched back square corners in the front.
- Note the fabric names and numbers you want the cushions made from.
- You may also want to note what colors of your decor you want to coordinate with.
- Review outdoor fabrics.
If you don’t have your old cushions or are terribly out of shape, you must measure your furniture correctly to ensure proper fit. Please read our posts on either Measuring Deep Seating Furniture or Measuring Standard Furniture for replacement cushions.
Now Go Shopping
Whether you shop for cushions at a brick-and-mortar store or online at Wicker Living, LLC, you now have the information you need to order your cushions. Once you have decided what to do, place your order and sit back. In several weeks your cushion cushions will arrive, and you will begin to enjoy them for a long time.
It’s now time to get ready and place your cushion order. Delaying can extend the wait time because cushion makers get very busy in the spring through July. Follow the instruction list above to ensure you capture everything you need to order your cushions and choose the right fabric. Place the order and use it on your first day on the patio this spring.
Don’t forget to Like Us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter to receive more blog updates.