Has the extended winter got you down in the dumps? Well, your not alone. Mother nature has increased the intensity and extended the duration of winter weather in many parts of the United States. Long cold spells that don’t let up and above average and record breaking snow falls are contributing to this frustrating time stuck indoors with no let-up in sight.
You can get through the wintery blues by thinking spring! Chances are, that when the weather breaks, we will be diving right into spring. That means you have to be prepared to do all the things you need to do to get ready to move outside and begin using your patio, porch and garden.
The top 10 things to consider that will help you get through the next few weeks while your locked away in your wintery cave:
- Obtain a calendar you can schedule activities on and find a place that you will be able to post it and review it often. Mark your calendar with reminders to schedule the following activities:
- Create a list of things that need to be ordered or purchased ahead of when you will need them, when you expect to procure them and when you expect to use them. Save this list.
- Plan ahead. Plan a time to clean or stain your deck or porch. If you have a concrete patio, you will want to consider a time to clean it with a high pressure hose. Clean spots up first. Doing so before you set out your furniture will save you the time and aggravation of having to move it all a second time or trying to work around it.
- Go to your garden supply store and find out when the best time it will be in your area is to prepare to fertilize and treat your lawn for critters and diseases. Check out different treatments for the best economical price. Or, start to interview the local lawn care doctors in your area for an acceptable treatment plan. Remember, there is a small window of opportunity to get pre-emergence down otherwise you might be wasting your time and money.
- Prepare to clean your existing patio furniture and cushions to start the year out right. Try our tips on caring for wicker furniture.
- Decide on your furniture and cushions you want to add or replace. Make a list and start to investigate. Make up your mind and then go for it. Time can be of the essence in the spring because supplies and choices of furniture and fabric can disappear quickly with some vendors.
- Mark a day on the calendar to inspect the outside of your home for small maintenance items. In particular, inspect your windows and doors to ensure they are properly sealed and painted. Take note of the required items you will need to purchase to perform the maintenance.
- Schedule a day to perform your window and door maintenance.
- Schedule a day some time after you have performed any window and door maintenance, to wash your windows.
- After fear of all bad weather has passed, put out your patio furniture and cushions and begin to enjoy the outdoors.